Rockdale’s Constitutional Corner: What is year’s support and to whom does it apply?

Testingfg of Ads

By Judge Clarence Cuthpert, Jr.

Rockdale Probate Judge


When a person dies (decedent) with or without a Will, and is survived by a spouse, minor children, or both, those individuals are entitled to an allowance out of the estate of the decedent. This allowance is called “years support,” defined in the law as property that is set aside for the family’s support and maintenance for the period of 12 months from the date the decedent died. Year’s support is based on the public policy of providing support for the family of the decedent before allowing the estate to be distributed to creditors and other distributees. With a few exceptions, year’s support has the highest priority of claims against the decedent’s estate. Because the year’s support process can be more complex than the issues addressed in this article, you are encouraged to seek legal counsel when filing a petition for the same.

The surviving spouse of the decedent can apply for year’s support unless he or she has remarried after the decedent’s death. However, if a decedent died with a Will that made provision for his or her spouse in lieu of year’s support, the surviving spouse must make an election of one or the other. The decedent’s minor children may apply for year’s support (this includes adopted children or children born out of wedlock) if they are under age 18 and not married. A minor child’s parent, legal guardian, or guardian ad litem may also file on behalf of the child.

In order to receive year’s support, the spouse or children must file a petition within 24 months of the decedent’s death. The petition must be filed in the county where the decedent was domiciled at the time of death. If the decedent was not domiciled in Georgia, the petition may be filed in any county in which the decedent owned property. If any objections to the petition are filed, the probate court will hold a hearing to determine how much property, if any, will be awarded as year’s support. If no objection is filed, the probate court will award the property requested in the petition. The probate court may make separate awards of property to the surviving spouse and the minor children.

The probate court may award year’s support as to property located inside or outside the county where the decedent was domiciled at the time of death. Title to property both inside and outside the county where the decedent was domiciled at the time of death shall vest in the surviving spouse, and/or children. As elected in the petition, property taxes accrued in the year of the decedent’s death, or in the year in which the petition for year’s support is filed, shall be divested if the real property is set apart for year’s support.

The information included herein is only intended to provide a basic understanding of year’s support. This information is not all inclusive, and should not be used as or considered to be legal advice.

 Throughout each month, the clerk of courts, tax commissioner, sheriff and probate judge—Rockdale’s elected constitutional officers—discuss topics relevant to their respective roles.

On Common Ground News

One comment

  • Rachelle Wright

    April 17, 2018 at 12:43 pm

    Thanks! This is great information to have.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Testingfg of Ads

About us

On Common Ground News is published daily by On Common Ground, Inc (OCGNEWS.COM). The newspaper serves DeKalb, Gwinnett, Rockdale and Metro Atlanta.

The opinions expressed by writers and contributors are not necessarily those of the publisher or the newspaper’s advertisers.

No portion of this newspaper may be reproduced in any form without the written permission of the publisher.

We reserve the right to reject material and advertisements we deem inappropriate.

On Common Ground News
P.O. Box 904
Lithonia, GA 30058

(770) 679-5607

Latest News

Select list(s) to subscribe to

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: On Common Ground News, 1240 Sigman Road, Conyers, GA, 30012, You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact