FEMA extends deadline for state, local governments to request assistance grants

Testingfg of Ads

At the request of Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal, the Federal Emergency Management Agency(FEMA) has granted an additional 30 days – until Nov. 14 – for Georgia state and local governments and certain private nonprofits to submit Requests for Public Assistance for federal reimbursement of debris removal, emergency protective measures and repair or replacement of public infrastructure damaged or destroyed by Hurricane Irma.

A Request for Public Assistance is FEMA’s official application form that public and private nonprofit organizations use to apply for disaster assistance under the Public Assistance Grant Program. Once approved by the state and FEMA, the request starts the grant process for eligible Public Assistance applicants.

Under the Public Assistance program, FEMA pays at least 75 percent of the cost of disaster-related expenses such as infrastructure repairs, overtime and debris removal. Typically, the remaining 25 percent is split between state and local governments at 12.5 percent each. Eligible private nonprofits are responsible for the full 25 percent. The program is administered by the Georgia Emergency Management and Homeland Security Agency (GEMA/HS). Eligibility and project approval is determined by FEMA.

All 159 Georgia counties may request federal reimbursement for categories A and B of the program – debris removal and emergency protective measures undertaken in response to Hurricane Irma. Currently 106 counties are eligible to request reimbursement for all categories
of the program, which includes repair or replacement of damaged infrastructure, such as roads, bridges, public buildings, utilities, water treatment facilities and public parks.

FEMA and its local, state and federal partners also are providing assistance to individuals and households affected by the storms in seven Georgia counties designated for FEMA’s Individual Assistance program, including: Camden, Charlton, Chatham, Coffee, Glynn, Liberty and McIntosh counties. The deadline for registering for the Individual Assistance program is also Nov. 14, 2017.

Individuals and households in the seven Georgia counties designated for the Individual Assistance program should register with FEMA. The fastest ways to register are by using the FEMA mobile app or online at DisasterAssistance.gov.

Survivors can also register by calling the FEMA helpline at 800-621-3362 or TTY 800-462-7585. Because of high demand, lines may be busy. Please be patient, and try calling in the morning or evening when call volume may be lower. The toll-free numbers are open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET, seven days a week. Survivors may also call the helpline with questions regarding their applications or the appeals process.

For more information on Georgia’s hurricane recovery, visit www.fema.gov/disaster/4338 and gema.ga.gov.

On Common Ground News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Testingfg of Ads

About us

On Common Ground News is published daily by On Common Ground, Inc (OCGNEWS.COM). The newspaper serves DeKalb, Gwinnett, Rockdale and Metro Atlanta.

The opinions expressed by writers and contributors are not necessarily those of the publisher or the newspaper’s advertisers.

No portion of this newspaper may be reproduced in any form without the written permission of the publisher.

We reserve the right to reject material and advertisements we deem inappropriate.

On Common Ground News
P.O. Box 904
Lithonia, GA 30058

(770) 679-5607


Latest News

Select list(s) to subscribe to

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: On Common Ground News, 1240 Sigman Road, Conyers, GA, 30012, http://www.ocgnews.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact